Sunday, March 20, 2016

Do What You Love

I recently heard the game show host, Steve Harvey, address his audience off camera. He said, “Your gift will make room for you.” He talked about being the best at whatever it is you do. I have been trying to embrace that idea and make room for my gift. I know it will happen. I dive into my dreams head first. I never know where they are going. My ADD/OCD brain takes me places that I do not always plan.

My recent passion is essential oils. I shouldn’t say “recent.” I have been using essential oils for over 20 years. I was recently introduced to Young Living Oils. I believe the company is the best on the market. Dr. Gary Young has years of experience and research to back his company. This is a potential business opportunity for me. I am not a “salesy” business woman, but I share information in hopes that friends will also be interested, and they seem to be.

People care about the environment. They care about their health. They are interested in holistic healing. They are disillusioned with the pharmaceutical industry. I am too.
Today, my gifts blended. It is Saturday and I am working. I didn’t even realize it, because it doesn’t feel like work. My hobbies of writing, photography and essential oils came together. My gifts are making room for me.

In my blog, I share ideas that I care about. In an attempt to expand my essential oil business through Young Living Oils, I decided to create a voluntary mailing list to my social contacts to share recipes and information. I wanted my mailings to be pretty, so friends would look forward to my monthly postcards. I planned to include recipes for environmentally friendly recipes for household cleaning products or body care items. I am practicing what I preach, as I am quickly replacing every commercial product in my house with a homemade one.

My first post card has a “spring cleaning” theme. I took a picture of the products I made and use. The label for the Soft Scrub reads “cause cleaning shouldn’t hurt.” The Disinfecting Wipes label says, “kill germs, not the environment.” I hope Clorox, Johnson & Johnson and Monsanto will hate me, OR hire me to revamp their toxic companies.  The picture of my cleaning products includes my cute rubber gloves and a stack of colorful bandana rags. Don’t be fooled, they do not make cleaning fun. I hate cleaning. I’m sure you do too. I just want to rinse less chemicals down the drain.

I found it challenging to include all of the information I wanted onto a little postcard, so this is why I am sharing all of this on my blog as well. I have not yet mailed my first postcard. Below I have included recipes and a picture of my (rarely used) cleaning products. If you would like to be added to my mailing list, message me.
I am doing what I love. I love our environment, I love writing. I love photography. I don’t know if I am gifted at any of it, but if you would like me to share with you, send me your address and I will send you a postcard.  My gifts will make room for you too.

Soft Scrub:
¾ c baking soda
¼ c castile soap
1 tablespoon water
10 drops essential oil (I use tea tree or thieves)
Mix into a paste. Store in a glass jar. Use as you would soft scrub to clean sinks, tubs and showers.

Disinfecting Wipes:
2 c water
2T castile soap
8 drops tea tree oil
4 drops lemon oil

Mix and store in a glass jar. Dip a cloth rag in the jar and wring out. Use as you would a commercial disposable disinfecting wipe on hard surfaces. 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Brenda. This is Tammy you met yesterday at Elizabeth Gilbert's workshop. I am eating my lunch at work so decided to look your blog up. I would like to receive your postcards. Not sure if I should leave my info here or not. Let me know. Have a great week. Tammy

    ReplyDelete