Wednesday, April 8, 2020

My Old Love


Henry Ford would be proud. Right now my dining table looks like an assembly line for COVID-19 masks. I cut out all the pieces yesterday and started sewing the masks this morning. I just realized it has been some time since I had my machines out. I am sewing masks for my friends who need to go out for groceries, and unfortunately a few nurse friends who are forced to reuse personal protective equipment right now due to the shortage.

I made Della and Kelsey masks with a vintage lime, fuchsia and pink paisley that I had left over from a 70’s remnant I bought in Half Moon Bay years ago. I cherished that fabric and used it sparingly for gifts like small purses and eye masks for girlfriend’s getaways. Last weekend I whipped up protective masks as fast as I could when I heard they needed them. I don’t hoard fabric remnants like I used to, so thankfully, Grandma Joanie, my friend’s mother in law hooked me up. She is also sewing as fast as she can. Joanie gave me several fun prints to work with: red with white stars, lavender with white polka dots, a tiny blue and purple paisley, and thankfully an olive and black leaf pattern suitable for the guys.

My mom must have taught me to sew in grade school because I don’t even remember not sewing. By junior high home economics class while everyone was making an apron I was making brushed denim overalls with buckles, buttons and red top stitching on the pockets and yokes. God, how I wish I had a picture of me in those overalls! I wore them proudly. I might have looked like a complete dork.

Although curtains and toss pillows can be purchased much cheaper now, it’s more fun for me to wander through the fabric store and visualize each pattern’s potential. After decorating, redecorating and decorating again, my husband suggested redecorating someone else’s house. Friends and family started asking me to sew draperies, flower girl dresses, slipcovers- you name it. Friends have paid me to hem pants and sew on buttons. Who doesn’t own a needle and thread? Or a sewing machine? I guess these days, quite a few. I thought it was a household necessity, but not anymore with cheap labor and clothing made in China. When asked by a friend how much I charge for mending jobs I would reply, “A cheap bottle of wine, and we split it while I sew your pants.”

After this thing blows over maybe Americans, all humans for that matter, will be compelled to go back to basics. Instead of relying on a delivery or carry out meal, be satisfied with what is available at the homestead. Maybe people will realize it’s nice to stay in, to not be too busy just to say you are. Try enjoying an evening by the fire, no TV screens.  The only noise a crackly fire in the fireplace and a needlework project to pass the time and keep idle hands busy.  I have loved sewing my entire life. It took a pandemic for me to get my sewing machine up and running again. Hello, Lover. Oh, how I’ve missed you!


No comments:

Post a Comment